YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO ATTEND THE ARTSWEEK 2016 OPENING
Please join us to celebrate the city's artistic bounty at the Artsweek 2016 Launch
Friday September 23, 2016 at 12 Noon
N.E. Corner of Queen and Simcoe Streets
(Help Paralegal Services, 114 Simcoe St. parking lot).
Artsweek and the Electric City Culture Council (EC3) invite you to join us for the opening ceremonies for Artsweek and the unveiling of Alex Bierk’s mural “Passing Cloud” (2016).
This will be the first opportunity to view the spectacular Bierk mural and to get a sneak peek at some incredible Artsweek 2016 events. It’s also a perfect opportunity to meet some of the wonderful Artsweek artists, partners, and sponsors over light refreshments. We want to say thank you and recognize all of you.
Opening ceremonies will include:
- The official Artsweek proclamation by Mayor Daryl Bennett
- The spectacular reveal of the Alex Bierk mural
- A dramatic reading from the Following the White Whale project by Fourth Line Theatre director and actor Robert Winslow
- The first sharing of the ecitylit
- The arrival of the Artsweek 2016 Artscart
- And many other surprises!
There will be great food and drink and we hope to see you all there.
Artsweek launch day will continue into the evening with three more interactive events: BLINK on Charlotte, The Gallery Hop, and the ecitylit kick off.
Join a guided tour of the BLINK on Charlotte storefront exhibitions, or make your own journey to exhibitions at participating art galleries during the Hop, in and around the downtown:
7:00 pm and 8:00 pm: BLINK Opening Tours
- Guided tours of the 8 BLINK on Charlotte storefront visual arts installations. Meet at The Charlotte Mews tunnel (next to The Art School of Peterborough,
7:00 pm - 10:00 pm: Gallery Hopping:
- Evans Contemporary, 129½ Hunter St. W., 3rd Floor
- ACME, 129½ ,Hunter St. W., 3rd Floor
- Artspace, 378 Aylmer St N.
- Christensen Fine Art, 432 George N.
- Gallery in the Attic, 140 1/2 Hunter St W.
- The Monocle Centre for the Arts, 140 Simcoe St.
- Art Gallery of Peterborough, 250 Crescent St.
8:30 pm - 9:30 pm: ecitylit at Black Honey
Join us for readings and the unveiling of literary coffee cup sleeves featuring local micro-fiction and poems commissioned just for Artsweek and appearing on coffee sleeves all around town. These literary sleeves will be available throughout Artsweek at participating cafés: BE Catering, Black Honey, Dreams of Beans, the Silver Bean Cafe, Natas, the Planet, the Planet North, BE at the Trend, In a Nuttshell, Amusé Coffee Co., Caffeina, Simply Delicious, the Turnbull Cafe and the Whistle Stop Cafe.
Artsweek 2016 features 30 projects involving almost 100 outstanding artists in a celebration of original, home-grown artworks showcased in five exciting Artsweek Signature Programs. http://www.artsweekptbo.com/
See you soon!
BOLD quiet INTENSE playful SERIOUS mysterious
INTELLIGENT delirious MAGICAL practical EMOTIONAL
curious DEMANDING rewarding…
ARTSWEEK IS a thought-provoking, soul-evoking, journey
into the heart and soul of Peterborough.