Bierk Art Fund Bursary Program for Post-Secondary Studies in the Visual & Media Arts
2023 Program Guidelines and Application Form
The Electric City Culture Council (EC3) is pleased to offer a bursary program for Peterborough high school students completing Grade 12 in 2023 who plan to undertake post-secondary studies in the visual and/or media arts during the 2023-24 academic year. This program is made possible with support from the Bierk Art Fund at the Community Foundation of Greater Peterborough, and in partnership with the Art Gallery of Peterborough.
The Bierk Art Fund Bursary Program provides two bursaries of $1,000.00 each to graduating high school students in the City or County of Peterborough (including Curve Lake and Hiawatha First Nations) whose work demonstrates great promise (artistic merit) and who have a serious commitment to pursuing further studies at the post-secondary level in the visual or media arts.
Students will have the opportunity to present their work (including but not limited to portfolios) to a virtual jury comprised of local arts professionals. The two successful candidates will be announced immediately in the media and celebrated at the next Mayor’s Luncheon for the Arts along with the Peterborough Arts Awards.
Eligible students are encouraged to fill out and submit a Bierk Art Fund Bursary Application Form by
Thursday, April 20 at 11:59pm Sunday, May 14 at 11:59PM (DEADLINE EXTENDED).
Pre-Assessment Application Workshop
EC3 is offering a virtual workshop over Zoom on Wednesday April 12 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm that will provide guidance on the application process. Applicants are more likely to be successful if they attend the workshop, but it is not required. Register for the workshop now!
Did you miss the workshop? Download the workshop PowerPoint now!
The Jury and Portfolio Review
After submitting applications, eligible students will receive a confirmation email from EC3 Interim Program Coordinator Elisha Rubacha, with an appointment time and Zoom link to meet with the jury for a Portfolio Review on Wednesday April 26. Appointments are 30 minutes in length. The jury will choose two winners after meeting with all of the applicants. All applicants will be assessed on the same criteria (see below). Winners will be announced on
Tuesday, May 5 Friday, May 19.
To be eligible for the bursary, the student must:
- Be completing their graduating year of high school in 2023
- Live and attend school in the City of Peterborough or Peterborough County, including Hiawatha and Curve Lake First Nations
- Have applied to pursue post-secondary education in the visual or media arts at a recognized college or university in 2023-24 (proof of acceptance is required to receive the bursary)
- Demonstrate great promise, interest, commitment to, and ability in the visual or media arts.
The jury will review applicant's portfolios in the Zoom review/interview and assess them on the following criteria:
- Artistic merit of the work
- Demonstrated ability to undertake study of the visual or media arts
- Demonstrated commitment to and interest in the proposed studies
- Promise in the field
In order to successfully apply for the bursary, students must do the following:
- Complete and submit a Bierk Art Fund Bursary Application Form by
Thursday, April 20 at 11:59pmSunday, May 14 at 11:59pm to email@example.com. (DEADLINE EXTENDED)
- Attend a virtual Portfolio Review on Zoom with our jury on
Wednesday, April 26Tuesday, May 16
Schedule (DEADLINE EXTENDED)
- Applications open: Thursday, March 30, 2023
- Virtual portfolio workshop: Wednesday, April 12, 2023 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm
- Applications due:
Thursday, April 20, 2023 at 11:59pmSunday, May 14, 2023 at 11:59PM
- Virtual portfolio review:
Wednesday, April 26, 2023Tuesday, May 16, 2023
Friday, May 5, 2023Friday, May 19, 2023
The Bierk Art Fund Bursary Application Form is available here.
Please download it, fill it out, save it [using this format: BAFB Application - LASTNAME FIRSTNAME.docx], and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please have a look at our FAQ document for more information about the program.